Thursday, February 1, 2018

Book Review - Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World by Admiral William H. McRaven

I've heard you should never judge a book by its cover, but I've made many reading and purchasing choices based solely on the cover, and I rarely regret it. I wonder if a corollary would be: you shouldn't judge a book by its title. I also have based many a reading and purchasing decision on the titles. Make your bed and change the world. Who wouldn't have their curiosity piqued?

Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World by Admiral William H. McRaven is an expanded version of a motivational speech given at a university commencement and is appropriate for all ages and all audiences.

The Good


Advice. This book was written by a retired Admiral about his experiences in SEAL training and 10 things he learned that can be applied to any life. All 10 things have a lot of merit and application.

Experiences. I really enjoyed hearing about the specifics of SEAL training. The author did such a good job describing the trials that, at times, I felt like I was in the mud with him.

The Bad


Narration. I'm glad the author chose to narrate the book himself, and he has a decent voice, but his delivery is very flat and even and monotoned.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


This book is an elaboration on a speech the admiral delivered at a commencement. He gives the elaboration first--which is fascinating--and then he gives the speech with is very repetitive and unnecessary.

Overall


Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World by Admiral William H. McRaven is a retelling of his experience in Navy SEAL training and 10 things he learned that can be applied to every life. The experiences are fascinating; the advice sagacious. I give this book a solid 4.5 out of 5 eReaders.

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment