Thursday, January 24, 2019

Book Review - The Black Box (Harry Bosch Book 16) by Michael Connelly

I find it interesting how

The Black Box by Michael Connelly is a crime in the Harry Bosch seriesIt is available as an eBook, Audiobook, and those paper things your grandparents used to read.

The Good


Linking Past and Present. This mystery begins at the beginning of Harry Bosch's career as a cop with one of his first assignments but isn't resolved until twenty years later when he is back on the police force at the end of his second career. There is a certain poetry to it, but it also feels natural and not forces or contrived.

Incorporating Read History. This story begins with the LA Riots, and then forwards to their anniversary with concerns from the real world. This story feels like a documentary or a true story with all the details and real life happens that are considered and included.

Variety. This story feels 100% like a Harry Bosch novel, but at the same time it is so different than any of the previous stories that I didn't feel like I was rereading any them. I really appreciate how the author is able to come up with something new and different without changing the formula. So few can do it so well.

The Bad

Leadership/Politics. Many of the people in power are jerks without any motivation beyond they're just bad guys. I wish they had more motivation to make them a little more sympathetic.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


Hmmmm.

Overall


The Black Box by Michael Connelly is another thoroughly enjoyable crime/police mystery. I really enjoyed how the story presented a mystery at the beginning of Harry Bosch's career that he finally resolved twenty years later when he was back on the police force. I enjoyed how the author was able to tie his story so tightly into the LA riots. This read like a true story. This story feels 100% like a Harry Bosch novel, but at the same time it is so different than any of the previous stories that I didn't feel like I was rereading any them. I really appreciate how the author is able to come up with something new and different without changing the formula. So few can do it so well. I give this book 5 out of 5 eReaders.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment