Monday, August 14, 2017

Book Review - The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get It Back by Clark Elliott

I love learning about the human body, the amazing things it can do, and the surprising discoveries researchers make about its abilities. It never ceases to amaze me what a marvelous creation it is. I especially love reading about new abilities and aspects. That's what caught my attention with this book.

The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get It Back is a nonfiction autobiographical story written by Clark Elliott. It's available as an eBook, audiobook, and those paper things your grandparents used to read.

Overview


Clark Elliott was the victim of an auto accident resulting in a concussion which severely limited his abilities. After dozens of doctors told him he'd just have to live with it, he found two that could repair much of the damage using a series of puzzles and special glasses.

The Good


Story. While I feel terrible for the author and all the challenges he had to deal with, his story was fascinating and had a happy ending.

Eye/Brain/Body Connection. I had no idea the eyes were connected to so many systems of the body, and that by altering the light that entered and adjusting where it focuses on the retina affects brain paths and emotions.


The Bad


Repetition and Details of Difficulties. The author spends waaaaaay too much time describing his difficulties in waaaaaay too much detail. I actually skipped past a few chapters.


What I Would Like to Have Seen

I wish the author would have elaborated on Brain Plasticity and gone into more detail about the exercises he went thru. That was much more interesting than the 75% of the book where he describes his difficulties.

Overall

The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get It Back by Clark Elliott tells a fascinating story in a less than fascinating way. The author spends too much time on the problems and not enough time on the solutions, but it is a story still worth reading. I give it 3.5 out of 5 eReaders.

    


promotion

No comments:

Post a Comment