Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Book Review - The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough

I had heard of David McCullough, and even purchased his books as gifts for others, but I myself never read any of his books until The Wright Brothers. I preordered is a week or so before it came out on a whim, and was not disappointed. I absolutely loved that book and the way the story was told. I couldn't wait to read more. But after reading a half dozen of his books, I could. They were all good, but none of them reached the heights The Wright Brothers had. Until I read this book.

The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough is a nonfiction history of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge (in case the title didn't tip you off)It is available as an eBook, Audiobook, and one of those paper things your grandparents used to read.

The Good


Storytelling. I had avoided this book for quite a while, because I couldn't fathom how this story could be at all interesting. Somehow David McCullough found a way. I was hooked from the beginning and couldn't wait to hear more.

Subject Matter. I wasn't aware of how amazing building the bridge was, especially for its time. The author did an excellent job picking a subject worth a book.

Extra History. David McCullough includes a lot of extra history in his books to help provide context (and because he lovers history) which I found very fascinating and educational.

The Bad

Ummm.....

What I Would Like to Have Seen


I wish he had included the story of the plans that had been forgotten about and how impressive they were once they were recently discovered. It's in another work of his, but would have added even more wonder and amazement.

Overall


The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough is an incredible book. I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first page to the last. The bridge itself is an incredible work of engineering, but David McCullough found a way to make the story come alive while still providing the technical details. I give this book 5 out of 5 eReaders.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment