Monday, August 27, 2018

Movie Review - Crazy Rich Asians

I had heard nothing about this film until a week before it opened I happened to catch a trailer in the box office of a theater while leaving another film. It looked like a lot of fun, so I was hoping it would get a wide release so I could see it.

Crazy Rich Asians is a 2018 romantic comedy drama based on the book of the same name. It is rated PG-13 for language and is appropriate for most ages.

The Good


Characters. The characters were really fun. While they fit a lot of the stereotypes one expects in a romantic comedy, because of the heavy emphasis on southeast asian culture, they were different enough to feel a little fresh. And the writers did more with the characters than make them the usual plot devices.

Visuals. The look of the film was beautiful. From the sets to the costumes to the locations chosen.

Pacing. The film moves at the perfect pace. I never felt bored or confused.

Freshness. The film tackles a culture I wasn't that familiar with, so there were some new situations and ideas I haven't seen too many times.

The Bad


Racist Opening. The film opens with a scene to show why the mother distrusts foreigners, but it's little more than the typical "hate on while people" racism of the the current milieu to show "open mindedness" and an acceptance of "diversity".

Cousin's Story. The main male lead of the film's cousin has a similar story that goes in a very different direction that feels shoehorned in. I understand the point the filmmakers were trying to make, but it wasn't well executed.

Credits/Graphics. The credits and graphics looked like a cheap 90s TV production. Maybe that's what films in southeast asia look like and they were emulating that.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


The film was great and I didn't feel wanting for anything.

Overall


Crazy Rich Asians is such a delight to watch from a great cast to great visuals to a great story and acting. I laughed, I felt sad, and I walked out of the theater satisfied. I haven't enjoyed a film nor been this entertained in a long time. There is enough of the familiar romantic comedy American audiences will feel comfortable, but there is enough of the southeast asian culture and ideas that it feels fresh and different. It isn't a perfect film and has several areas that could be improved, but overall I loved it. I give this film 5 out of 5 boxes of popcorn.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment