Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Book Review - Thrawn: Alliances (Star Wars) by Timothy Zahn

I enjoyed Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn Trilogy, but I thought it could have been better. The classic Star Wars characters were close, but not quite right. His first Thrawn book in the new series corrected that by getting the Emperor's character right and showing us new sides to Thrawn's character. I was curious to see how he would follow up that story.

Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn is a science fiction, action, adventure Star Wars storyIt is available as an eBook, Audiobook, and one of those paper things your grandparents used to read.

The Good


Darth Vader. I find it rare for anyone but George Lucas to get his classic characters right. I've read a lot of Star Wars novels, comic books, comic strips, and even watched those awful new Star Wars films, and no one seems to really capture the original characters. Even Timothy Zahn in his first series of Star Wars novels couldn't pull it off. Until now. Darth Vader felt like Darth Vader, spoke like Darth Vader, and acted like Darth Vader.

Interesting Stories that Parallel. This latest novel is actually two stories that take place in a similar part of space with the earlier story affecting the latter one. While the story wasn't as good as the first Thrawn novel in the series, is was still interesting and added to the Star Wars mythos.

The Bad

Small Scope. When I think of Star Wars, I think of Galactic Opera that contrasts the big galactic events against the everyday lives of ordinary people. This story forgot the galactic events.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


I wish more had happened. I wish the aliens had been more interesting.

Overall


Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn wasn't as good as the first Thrawn novel in this series, but was still an enjoyable read and continues the story adding more to Thrawn's backstory and motivation. Zahn did a masterful job of capturing Darth Vader's voice, thoughts, and actions. The parallel stories was handled well and helped make two less interesting stories more impactful. I give this book 4 out of 5 eReaders.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment