Friday, August 10, 2018

Movie Review - Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

I loved Mamma Mia! when I saw it live, but was a little disappointed in the film version because of who was cast: most of them couldn't sing, and most of them were too old for those roles. I was a little hesitant to watch a sequel, because I wasn't sure there were many places worth going, but I loved the first one so much I went and saw it anyway.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is a 2018 musical comedy drama based on the music of ABBA. It is rated PG-13 for language and is appropriate for teens and up.

The Good


Story. This movie had a great story. It parallels Donna's journey to the island and meeting the three guys with Sofie's journey to restore the old place to a great hotel. It was really interesting and well told and definitely deserved to be told.

Young-version Actors. The actors cast as the young versions were really well cast, They looked and acted like their older counterparts, but could also sing which was great.

The Bad


Music. The music in this film felt like a Side B to the first. There were a few good songs and good performances, but most of them paled in comparison to what we've seen before.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


I wish the music had been better.

Overall


Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again was a sequel/prequel that deserved to be made. It parallels both the backstory with what happens a year later. The story is really interesting and well told. The casting for the young versions of the characters is very well done. The music sounds like the B Side to the first movie's soundtrack and was disappointing. I give this film 4 out of 5 boxes of popcorn.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment