Monday, March 11, 2019

Movie Review - Alita: Battle Angel

I read some anime, but Alita is one I was aware of but knew nothing about. But the trailer looked interesting enough I decided to give it a whirl.

Alita: Battle Angel
 is a 2018 cyberpunk science fiction anime action film. It is rated PG-13 for language and violence and is appropriate for tweens and up.

The Good


The Action. The action and fight scenes were really well done. They were fun, furious, and exciting.

The Characters. The characters were surprisingly strong and interesting. The point of the movie wasn't world building or action, but the interaction between characters and them facing their pasts and choices they made.

3D. Normally I don't like 3-D in movies, because it's little more than a gimmick. But in this film they made great use of 3-D using it to enhance the scope and size of the world. When characters were high up looking to the ground, I felt like I was high up. The 3-D also helped make the scenery seem larger and more enveloping.

Scenery. The scenery and environments, while not totally new and original, were really well done and felt like a world that could exist.

The Bad


Pacing. This movie was a little slow. The exciting parts weren't as exciting as I'd hope they would be.

Story/Concept. One thing I love about manga and anime is how original and fresh and different it is. This movie felt very western. Nothing in it was new or something I hadn't seen before. The movie was pretty straight forward and predictable.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


I wish the movie had been a little more original and had pushed the boundaries a little more story-wise and concept-wise.

Overall


Alita: Battle Angel is a solid film with a good, linear story, great characterizations, and nice backgrounds. The action is a lot of fun. The pace is a little slow and the movie follows the typical film formula with no real surprises or anything new or unique, something I really look forward to in anime. I give this film 3.5 out of 5 Boxes of Popcorn.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment