Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Book Review - Superman: Year One

Despite all the backlash Frank Miller gets these days, I still think he is a good writer. He comes up with some really great stories, and they always focus on the emotions of the characters. So when I heard he was tackling a Superman story, I was excited.

Superman: Year One 1 is the first book in a trilogy of graphic novels featuring Superman. It is available in paperback and electronic comics.

The Good


Story. This book had a great story that moved at just the right pace. It felt like classic Superboy in Smallville and yet modern at the same time. It was true to the Superman mythos while bringing something new to the picture.

Art. The art was very nice and fit the story Frank was telling.

Changes. This story made several changes to the Superman mythos that all made sense and provide a lot of interesting stories to explore.

The Bad


Matt Murdock. Frank Miller has made Clark Kent act like and talk a little like Matt Murdock in the Man Without Fear mini-series. While that is one of my favorite stories of all time, this felt a bit like a rip off of that. I'm not sure Clark and Matt are really that similar.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


I wish Frank had made Superman's mom more human and less of a plot device.

Overall


Superman: Year One 1 had a great story that moved at just the right pace. It felt like classic Superboy in Smallville and yet modern at the same time. It was true to the Superman mythos while bringing something new to the picture. The art fit the story, and I like how young Clark looks like Tom Welling from Smallville. This story made several changes to the Superman mythos that all made sense and provide a lot of interesting stories to explore. I just wish Clark's mother had been less generic helicopter mom and more Martha Kent. I give this book 4.5 out of 5 eReaders.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment