Monday, January 22, 2018

Book Review: The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

I had recently watched Murder on the Orient Express, and so mysteries on a train were on my mind which is probably why I picked up this book. From the cover and description, it sounded more like a Hallmark or Lifetime movie, not something I usually read. But boy am I glad I did.

The Christmas Train by Chris Grabenstein is a mystery romance adventure novel appropriate for all ages and all audiences.

The Good


Characters. Every character was a unique individual and not someone I had seen before in a book or movie. Each had as much development as they needed for the story, and each was very likable.

Suspense/Peril. I was expecting some sweet, tame little read, but there was really suspense and peril throughout the book, but mostly at the end. I was actually worried there wouldn't be a happy ending.

Mystery. This book had a good mystery whose answer surprised me.

Romance.
 The romance wasn't overdone or felt contrived. It felt like I was readying about a real relationship between real people with real feelings and real issues.

Bonus Story. This book had a very short bonus story that was really sweet and not something I had really heard before.

The Bad


Mark Twain references. This book made several references to Mark Twain which didn't really add to the story and got kind of annoying and distracting. If they had all been left out, no one would have felt like anything was missing. I'm not sure their purpose.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


A sequel.

Overall


The Christmas Train by Chris Grabenstein was a delightful journey filled with memorable unique characters, mystery, romance, twists, peril, suspense, and a great setting. It started off a little, but what train ride doesn't. I was completely swallowed up in the story and will probably listen to it again very soon. I give this book a solid 5 out of 5 eReaders.

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment