Saturday, December 22, 2018

Movie Review - Bumblebee

 
I was a big fan of Transformers in the 80s, and I've been waiting for a movie that was true to the original cartoon to be released. That day finally came.

Bumblebee is a 2018 science fiction action film based on the Transformers toyline and cartoon series. It is rated PG-13 for mild violence and is appropriate for most ages.

The Good


Transformers Designs. The filmmakers did an excellent job capturing the look of the original toys. I almost cried I was so happy. Why couldn't they have done this 4 films earlier? They looked awesome!

Transformers Action. The film did a great job capturing the movement, transformation, and action of the cartoon. I loved classic Soundwave and Ravage! And Optimus Prime as a semi looked just like the toy.

80s Nostalgia. This movie takes place in the 80s with a lot of 80s music, fashion, film, and other references. Even the pacing and story turns felt very 80s.

Opening Scene. The opening scene looks like it came straight from my imagination. It was everything I could want in a Transformer movie.

The Bad


Charlie. Charlie is the main character, and she is so blah and unlikeable. The main story is her coping with the loss of her dad and trying to move on. The idea was good, but so poorly executed.

Story. The story was weak. It was boring, uninteresting, and uninspired. I wished I had a remote to cue to the next battle scene.

What I Would Like to Have Seen


I wish there had been more Transformer action. The main story was pretty dull and bland. The action scenes on Cybertron were amazing.

Overall


Bumblebee is the Transformer movie fans have been waiting for for three decades. The Transformer designs and action look like they came straight out of the cartoon. Why couldn't the first four movies look like this? The opening scene looks like it came straight from my imagination. Unfortunately, the story and human characters were boring. I give this film 3.5 out of 5 boxes of popcorn.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment